Caramel Matzoh Crunch – Dairy
6-8 unsalted matzohs
1 c unsalted butter
1 c firmly packed brown sugar
¾ c semi-sweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 375 F. Line a large cookie sheet completely with foil. Cover the bottom of the sheet with parchment paper (on top of the foil).
2. Line the bottom of the cookie sheet evenly with the matzohs, cutting extra pieces as required to fit any spaces.
3. In a 3 quart heavy bottomed saucepan, combine the butter and brown sugar. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture comes to a boil (about 2-4 minutes). Boil for 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat and pour over the matzoh, covering completely.
4. Place the baking sheet in the oven and immediately reduce the heat to 350 F. Bake for 15 minutes, checking every few minutes to make sure the mixture is not burning. If it seems to be browning too quickly, remove pan from oven, lower the heat to 325 F, and replace the pan.
5. Remove pan from the oven, and sprinkle immediately with the chocolate chips. Let stand 5 minutes, then spread the melted chocolate over the matzoh.
6. While still warm, break into squares or odd shapes. Chill, still in the pan, in the freezer until set.
Marcie Goldman, A Treasury of Jewish Holiday Baking Submitted by Larry Finkelman